What is resistance training?
Resistance training is a Low Intensity exercise program designed to increase muscle strength by working muscles against a weight or a therapy band. Resistance training incorporates aerobic exercise to also improve fitness.
There are a variety of health benefits associated with not only your physical health but also your mental health, these can all be achieved through resistance training.
- Improved muscle strength and tone
- Weight management
- Prevention and control of health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and arthritis Pain management
- Improved mobility and balance
- Improved posture
- Decreased risk of injury
- Increased bone density
- Reduced body fat
- Increased muscle-to-fat ratio
- Improved Metabolism (Burning more kilojoules when at rest)
- Improved sleep patterns
- Increased self-esteem
- Enhanced performance of everyday tasks
Better Health Channel, 2010